Employing staff in playgroups
Some incorporated playgroups may employ one or more staff members to undertake specific roles or tasks. Information about Incorporation can be found here.
Employing staff carries a range of responsibilities and it is important that you understand the legal obligations required of your playgroup in employing staff.
As an employer you will need to comply with a range of state and federal regulations and requirements including awards and rate of pay, taxation and superannuation, workers compensation, and work health and safety for staff you employ in the playgroup. Please see the links below for further information about these issues.
- Award information and Employee records – Contact Wageline
- Pay as you go taxation (PAYE) and Superannuation Guarantee Act – Contact Australian Taxation Office
- Worker’s Compensation – Contact Workcover
- Safe workplace – Contact Worksafe
Other places you may find helpful include:
- Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety - Employers and employees and Employment and volunteering
Playgroup WA member playgroups can get more information about workers compensation from our insurance broker, Finsura – 1800 252 712 or email email@example.com.